Part the end: Erring on the side of caution

So, we’ve come to conclusion of our tale from fall, 2005. . .by now you should all know that south Texas is barely getting the fringe of this most recent storm, but since I wrote all of this on Saturday, I’m leaving it as is.

After we headed home, our minds were set on one thing. . .hot food. We were starved, and everything along the way was closed. As we approached Tony’s truck on top of the freeway, we stopped to call AAA to come and get it. They gave us a time frame of four hours, so we left it there with plans to come and get it the next day before the storm.

Even after we arrived back in Houston there was still no food to be found. I ended up cooking our dinner at about 9:00 p.m. while Tony tried to find out what was going on in the way of storm shelters. His mom and dad came out to our house as well. We had a neighbor down the street who had a key to a church building nearby where we could all go if the storm got too severe, but about 11:00 p.m. I heard on the news that they were opening a church building not far from our house as a Red Cross evacuation center. Tony went to check on it, and at 1:00 a.m. we were packed and headed that direction. The storm was still a day away, but we wanted to make sure we had a spot. It was our home for the next 36 hours.

The next morning early Tony and his mother headed over to get the truck before the storm hit. It was nowhere to be found. Lots of cars were towed, but there was no record of Tony’s truck being one of them. He was more than dejected when he arrived back at the shelter. We called to report the truck stolen. Finally some Sherriff’s deputies arrived with the news that the truck was, indeed, in a tow lot in Baytown. And in the back of it was MY overnight bag (that had slid under the rabbit cage so we didn’t see it) with all of my medication inside. Despite the fact that I really needed my inhaler, I was most upset about my new eyeshadow being gone. 🙂 I have never seen Tony happier. He loves that ugly paid for truck.

We really DID err on the side of caution being at the shelter. We had funny colored skies and some strong winds and rain, some power outage and downed trees, but we were on the clean side of the storm so it wasn’t too bad. There were people there who were in really bad shape though–people from along the coast where there WERE problems–one who had a five day old by c-section. A mom who’d had ear surgery the day before and had three small children with her. I was very thankful for my little family about me even if we were being overly cautious. I got permission to open the church’s nursery so that the kids could have a place to play away from the constant news broadcasts on the devastation of the storm.

Nature. It’s both a blessing and a curse that we can see so far in advance what is coming our way. We can atleast attempt to prepare for the worst, but we still don’t know what the worst will be. Despite the anxiety of waiting, I am thankful for radars and contra-flow plans and evacuation routes. I am glad that the lessons of Katrina and Rita were not forgotten but hope we don’t have to put those preparations to the test.

It appears that we will miss the wrath of Dean. But we’re ready. We’ve got canned goods, dry goods, batteries, candles, and water. And the receipt to return it all after hurricane season is over in November. Please keep all those who are impacted by this storm in your prayers.

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

3 thoughts on “Part the end: Erring on the side of caution

  1. Wow, what an adventure. The only thing that comes close in our book is the 30 hour drive from Searcy to Dallas in an ice storm…

  2. I’m adjusting to this first week of school… why is it so hard to get to bed on time, or even before midnight? This morning my eyes are so puffy they look like a couple of day-old sugar glazed donuts.

  3. Good grief that’s a load of drama for one storm. We were living in Marshall when all of South Texas was evacuated for another hurricane. Jason was working at the Marriott then, and he was turning away guests from over 300 miles away, telling them the next available lodging was in Arkansas. I’d rather have earthquakes. You don’t have time to dread them.

Tell me what ya think.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s